One of my favorite meals is a good kale salad. For me, what makes a kale salad a good kale salad is having a bomb dressing and marinating the kale in said dressing. It’s actually the only way I’ll eat kale, well…aside from cooking some frozen kale on the stovetop. So fancy, I know.
I had a TON of kale and blueberries in my fridge and so I got to brainstormin’ on how to use the two together. Then a lightbulb went off in my head: SALAD DRESSING.
I am a huge fan of homemade dressings. They are super easy to make, typically only needing a few ingredients and can be made in just a few short minutes, which is perfect for someone who has little time on her hands and can be lazy aka me. I based this dressing off of this one from food.com, only making a few short tweaks. If you have any dressing left over (which you probably will), just store in an airtight container and keep in your fridge.
This salad is perfect for the summer. It’s topped strawberries, blueberries, and avocado, and not to mention, dressed in a delicious blueberry avocado vinaigrette. The dressing take less than 3 minutes to make, so this salad is perfect to take to any summer get-togethers and barbecues.
- Roughly 8 leaves of tuscan kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup Blueberry Avocado Vinaigrette
- Blueberry Avocado Vinaigrette (adapted from food.com):
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 6 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 blue agave nectar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- A few dashes of salt
- A dash of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
- Rinse kale leaves and dry. Remove stems and finely chop. Place chopped kale in large bowl. Set aside.
- Make vinaigrette: Add all ingredients to mini food processor and blend until smooth and combined.
- Measure out a 1/4 cup of dressing and pour over kale. Massage kale with hands until all kale is covered. Add more dressing if you prefer.
- Cover marinated kale and set in fridge for approximately 30 minutes-1 hour.
- When ready, top salad with strawberries, blueberries, and avocado and serve immediately.